Ava DuVernay, director of hit movies A Wrinkle in Time and Selma, gives Us Weekly a behind-the-scenes look at her life. Read on to learn about the 46-year-old’s favorite musician, the celebrities she’s been stuck in elevators with and more.
1. Without glasses or contact lenses, I can’t see detail of any kind more than an arm’s length away.
2. I didn’t pick up a film camera until the age of 32.
3. I made my first narrative feature film using savings for a house.
4. In spring 2018 — with my salary from A Wrinkle in Time — I bought three buildings near Echo Park in Los Angeles and built a creative campus centered on images made by women and people of color.
5. I love Le Labo candles.
6. I’ve seen U2 in concert 29 times.
7. My mother [Darlene’s] nickname is Doll — and she is one.
8. I’m the oldest of five siblings.
9. I have two brothers: One was born on Christmas Eve, and the other on the anniversary of the Los Angeles rebellion.
10. I started a public relations company at age 27.
11. My favorite job in college was as a waitress at Aunt Kizzy’s Back Porch in Los Angeles. Every Sunday afternoon, Little Richard would come for brunch and tip me a cool $100
12. I used to play the drums.
13. I’ve seen every episode of The Twilight Zone ever made — even the rare ones — and have cross-referenced each with my trusty Twilight Zone Companion workbook [by Marc Scott Zicree].
14. I’ve been stuck on elevators with Tom Cruise, André Leon Talley and Bruce Willis — all at different times.
15. My first fender bender occurred as I happened to be passing the house of the boy I liked. Note to younger self: Keep your eyes on the road even when the object of your desire is watering his lawn [in a tank top].
16. I can’t chew gum because I always bite the inside of my mouth.
17. I like to read poetry.
18. I remember the moment I fell in love with film. It was the first time I saw [1961’s] West Side Story at my Aunt Denise’s apartment, circa 1982. “I just met a girl named Ma-riiiii-a!”
19. I meditate every morning.
20. I like to hike.
21. I haven’t picked up a hair brush since March 2004.
22. Oprah taught me that bad things aren’t happening to you; they’re happening for you.
23. I love to have breakfast at night.
24. My first job was scooping frozen yogurt. I had a perfect swirl.
25. I love to read magazines. I recently guest-edited Time magazine’s Art of Optimism issue.
Sign up for Us Weekly's free, daily newsletter and never miss breaking news or exclusive stories about your favorite celebrities, TV shows and more!
VH1’s Trailblazer Honors will pay tribute to DuVernay on March 8 (International Women’s Day) at 9 p.m. to kick off Women’s History Month.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!